Hurricane Felix

It was the summer of 1995, and my dad had me hooked on the Weather Channel. We were tracking the progress of the hurricane due to make a run up the east coast at category 4 strength, and for at least a week or two, it was the topic of conversation between me and dad. Where is it going to go? Will is swing north? Will it fly out the sea? Will it slam into North Carolina and miss us completely? What the heck is that low pressure system doing? For more on this developing storm system, I take you to my 9-year-old self Weather Channel correspondent...

Back then, watching the Weather Channel was like watching a Sega Genesis game. The bright blue Local on the 8's screen was populated by bold white letters, little blazing suns, and puffy rainclouds stuck to fat lightning bolts, and was always delivered in the key of cool--and by that I mean laid back, Pure Moods-y, sax-driven adult contempo. Ah...so smooth. Nothing was cooler than watching those big green snot blobs pass over the landscapes of gray puzzle pieces so long as Kenny G was the one heralding their journey. The wind could be ripping the roof off your house, and it'd all be okay so long as it was set to elevator muzak .

Anyways, I remember Felix better than Hurricane Bob because I'd grown a few more braincells during those years. Hurricane Bob actually hit us, but all I remember about it is how I "held the furniture down" so nothing would break should the house go up like the Wizard of Oz. Men got to protect the house, after all. By the time of Felix, I was less interested in thwarting disaster, and more interested in watching it--the stock Hurricane Andrew footage that is, of roofs getting thrown off, waves crashing through windows, palm trees bent sideways...etc. And to think, we had one coming our way!  Fire up the camcorders!

So you couldn't beat the Weather Channel when it came to excuses for father/son bonding, because when the storm hits, the men got to be prepared... the destruction won't tape itself! As it turns out, Felix hovered around North Carolina and did a couple loops before spinning out towards the North Atlantic. Bummer. It didn't flash, it fizzled, which is probably why we didn't stay tuned for Hurricane Luis.

1 comment:

  1. I miss the old weather channel.. I remember just keeping it on at night to hear the music it played while showing the forecast.. =P

    ReplyDelete