Snow Writing at the Sled Hill

Let me just stop and say it should be no surprise by now that I am endowed with one of them "things that shall not be named." It's not anything special to be honest, but it works. And yes, I do use it. It's a cool gadget to have, I got to admit, even if having one makes you stupid... which it does. And I would know. In fact there are precisely 2655 ways to have fun with it by yourself, and they're all devilish and naughty... but number one has got to be the most basic. The fact about this boy is that anywhere he went in the great outdoors, whenever he'd come to a high cliff, his first thought always went back to the ole gadget: "This would be a great spot to pee off." 

I know I am not alone in this... at least 50% of the population will concur with this truth invariably. The other half will forever turn me down after reading this. But see, arms and legs just ain't like this appendage, oh no. This one really does have a mind of its own. That may have been why writing your name in the snow with it was always more work than it may have looked... at least to anyone who ever tried it. BUTT then again, if you never tried it, you probably weren't born with that particular drawing tool, and so therefore you never suffered like we guys do. All guys have done this, either to practice our writing skills (or aiming skills) or just out of giddy curiosity and fascination with whatever comes out of us (you know, birth envy and all). But here's the thing, if The Lost World: Jurassic Park taught me anything, it's that when you go off to take a leak in the woods, make sure you don't end up stranded out there by your girl cousin.

It was on an after-Christmas sledding trip and my same-age girl cousin came along with us. She was only related to us by marriage, so I felt safe having the huge crush on her that I had. She and I rode the wussy slope a few times together on the same sled, but I insisted we try the steeper and icier one... the so-called "big kid ride." She refused of course, but I won the day because it was all to easy to push her off and down in the sled by herself. I got a kick out of terrifying her until she landed us both in the ditch at some point. She applied the breaks so hard we skidded on the ice and flopped over sideways into the snow-covered stream bed. Though she had put us down there, I was still the one who had to get the sled out. That sucked because the snow was as hard and slippery as ice. It was ice!

The whole time I became aware I had something to take care of though as I worked to pull it out, and holding it in was not an option anymore! I was even wetting myself a little, which sucked because it was effin cold! So when I'd finished hauling that sled up the hill, I ran off without a word and left her alone there in the white field to die. Though she was curious about what I was doing back there in the trees she didn't wait up for me at the top. She took the sled down again on her own, unbeknownst to me, leaving me stranded. At the time though, I didn't care. I really, desperately, had to squeege. But first, I had to find the "perfect" spot in the snow by the trees (because Marks like me always like to "make their mark"), and then had to coax that turtle out of his shell in the freezing cold for a solid minute (You think it's easy? Try it!). Then finally, finally, I could let it go!

"Come on! Come on! Can't! Hold! It! Stupid zipper! Come on! ...Oh-oh-oh!!!
...ahhhhhhh-ohhhhhh-ahhhh!!... ... ohhhhh yeeeeah.... finally... "

Oh man what a feeling that is! But then I got this "inclination" half way, so it  became a stop-n-go adventure for a good thirty seconds on. It came out all bent, crooked, and disjointed like chicken scratch (because a squirt here and a squirt there does not a straight line make), and I couldn't even work up enough to finish! "M... A ..." Come on, just a little more... just a little more... Nothing doing. Dead stop. Oh well.

I soon abandoned my sloppy "pen...manship" and emerged back into the sun and the blinding snow at the top of the hill only to find my girl cousin waving to me from the bottom, having just enjoyed the steeper "big kid" sled run by herself. I guess it was easier to steer without me, since she'd made it to the bottom this time with no problem. But she wasn't about to leave the sled, much less lift a finger to drag it back up the slope to come back for me. I told her "no way" to helping her, and she never let me back on that thing, even though it was mine. She was carrying that thing all over the place like it was hers, and I don't even remember if I ever got it back. So yeah, I learned why girls don't do any of that stuff in the woods. I don't know what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...