Lego Pirates Ad

How cool was the original Lego Pirates? And how cool is this commercial? They just don't shoe-horn enough catchy, corny rap into kids media these days, and it's a damn shame. I mean, how can you not like these lyrics:


Word up! Zack's back! The Pirate Lego Maniac!
Yo-ho-ho and a barrel of fun,
the pirate adventure has begun!


Between me and my brother, we probably had every Lego Pirates set there was, except for the real expensive ones like the pirate ship... always begged for around every holiday and birthday and granted upon successful room cleaning throughout the year. The Lego Pirates weren't just pirates, they also had those Spanish galleons with "Commander Broadside" at the helm, which weren't as cool as the pirates but hell, it was great to have a whole "good guys" vs. "bad guys" thing going on. A ship was a ship, whether it had those blue and white striped sails or a big red skull and bones. I vividly remember just staring, eyes agape, with total bliss, into print ads for these Lego ships--the pirates and the armada--coming blow to blow in a cannon showdown on the still waters.

I loved every detail of these sets... the black captain hats, the curved "swashbuckler" swards, the palm trees, the little boats, the stiff flags, the little brown handguns and the wide-barrel muskets...even the little black mustaches! And ANY set that had a shark in it was a must-have! I remember the excitement of getting a fresh new box of Legos and ripping open the side. I remember the crinkle of the plastic bag with the small holes in it, the instruction book with the blue faded backgrounds, the different sized pieces in all their own bags. It was always a magical experience.

It was so awesome that it got me thinking, "Why should this Zack kid have all the fun?"

3 comments:

  1. I never got the chance to get my hands on those but I remember this commercial! I remember having two knee high containers of those gigantic LEGO block pieces. Mom told me she didn't want to step on them, and she never did - they were the size of your foot! Hard to miss hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I don't remember this commercial at all, and I wonder if I was just scrubbing my brain of awful rapping because that seems like a good theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, "rap" was the only word I could think of to describe it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...